CAEDM provides both color and black and white printing. For large CAD drawings and posters see Plotting.
- 1 Print Costs and Charging
- 2 Printers
- 3 Printing from your own computer
- 4 Other Printing Resources
Print Costs and Charging
Printing for individual users is charged directly to their BYU Signature Card. The CAEDM print driver will estimate the cost of a print job before committing to payment. Charging for plotting is separate.
CAEDM Money (Print balance)
Every user has a "CAEDM Money" balance. If the Signature Card Servers cannot be contacted when a print job is released, CAEDM will allow the print job to continue, recording the charge to the user's individual print balance. This could result in a temporary negative print balance. CAEDM will charge the outstanding balance to Signature Card when the servers become available. If there is an error in print charging caused by a paper jam or other error, CAEDM employees are not authorized to place funds back on a Signature Card. The refunded amount will be credited to the CAEDM Money account for future printing.
Checking Signature Card, CAEDM Print Balance, and Group Printing Balances
- From the CAEDM website, select "Check Print Balance" from the "Printing" menu.
- Signature Card balance, personal CAEDM print credit, and group print account balances will be shown.
Most computer labs in the college have one or more printers available. Usually the name of the printer will be on or near the printer. Most department printers are limited to black and white on 8.5 x 11" paper, but resources vary. Color printing, large paper sizes, and plotting are available in the CAEDM labs as seen in the table below.
|Lab||B/W Printing||Color Printing||Plotting|
|308 Clyde Building||8.5 x 11||N/A||N/A|
|425 Clyde Building||8.5 x 11, 11 x 17||8.5 x 11, 11 x 17||42 x ?? Glossy Poster|
|450 Crabtree Building||8.5 x 11, 11 x 17||8.5 x 11, 11 x 17||24 x 36 CAD drawing|
CAEDM stocks standard 92 Bright, 20 lb office paper in both 8.5 x 11 and 11 x 17. Other types of paper will need to be approved in person by a CAEDM employee. Damage to a printer caused by unapproved paper will be paid for by the responsible party.
DO NOT print transparencies. They can destroy our fusers!
Printing from your own computer
To print from any Windows computer, install and use the CAEDM Print Driver.
The CAEDM Print Driver will work on any Mac with OSX 10.6+.
The CAEDM Print Driver will install on any Debian (Ubuntu) or Red-Hat (Fedora) based system.
Other Printing Resources
Creating PDF files
There are many options for creating PDF files at the CAEDM labs. If the application you are using does not support export/save to PDF, do not lose heart! You can do it as long as you have printing capabilities at the labs. Your options include:
- Acrobat Pro Machines: There are scanner machines located in some of the CAEDM labs. These machines have Adobe Acrobat Pro installed on them. This application supports the creation and editing of PDF files.
- Distil Queue: The distil queue is a printer accessible with the CAEDM print driver. If you can run the driver, you can see this "printer". To make a PDF out of your document, simply print as you normally would any document, and choose the CAEDM print driver as the printer. Then, from the list of printers in the driver, select 'Distil'. After a short time, a PDF will be sent to your e-mail.
- PDF Creator: The windows machines in the labs come equiped with an application called 'PDF Creator'. Use this to create PDFs out of most documents.